Your MCP Card is mainly used for getting medical treatment. It is also used to get a Driver’s License and other services.

Applying for a MCP Card

This section deals with actually getting the card. Whether you do it on your own or with help from the ANC, you must complete an Application Form. You can get the form at a hospital, at your doctor’s office, at the MCP office or by downloading it from the MCP Website.

Either send the form or deliver it yourself with the documentation listed below.

Canadian Citizens must present documents that confirm their citizenship status. This can consist of:

  • A Social Insurance Card or document containing your Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  • A Canadian passport
  • A Canadian Birth Certificate
  • An official Federal Government Identity Card or Federal Government document containing the SIN and name

Landed Immigrants must present a Record of Landing Documents from Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Canadian Citizens and Landed Immigrants may be required to provide additional information, including:

  • Previous province or territory’s health care number or card
  • Proof that Canadian citizenship/landed status has not been lost if returning to Canada after a lengthy stay abroad

Foreign Workers must present an Employment Authorization (Work Visa). The Employment Authorization must be:

  • Issued before coming to Canada
  • For a named Newfoundland and Labrador employer
  • For a specific job within the province
  • Valid for at least 12 months, except for foreign health care workers

All foreign applicants should be prepared to present a valid foreign passport for identification purposes.

Foreign/International Students must present a copy of a student permit issued by IRCC. The permit must be:

  • Issued before coming to Canada
  • Issued for an educational institution located in Newfoundland and Labrador for a period of at least 12 months


Apply either to:

Grand Falls-Windsor Office: MCP
22 High Street,
PO Box 5000
Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, A2A 2Y4

Telephone: 1-709-292-4000
Toll Free: 1-800-563-1557
Facsimile: 1-709-292-4052

St. John’s Office: MCP
45 Major’s Path,
PO Box 8700
St. John’s, NL, A1B 4J6

Telephone: 1-709-758-1600
Toll Free: 1-866-449-4459
Facsimile: 1-709-758-1694

Services Covered by your MCP Card

You should not allow another person to use your MCP Card and you should not use someone else’s card.

Your MCP Card pays for the cost of most medically necessary services. Here are some examples of the hospital and medical services covered by your card:

  • Most physician and in-hospital services
  • Home care, palliative care, long-term care
  • Addiction services, mental health services, drug programs
  • Primary care services (dental public health services for children, chronic disease prevention and management, public health nursing, etc.)

Ambulance services are not generally covered, however, they are subsidized for residents in certain situations.

Some examples of the hospital and medical services not covered by your MCP Card are:

  • Most prescription drugs
  • Eye exams and eyewear, like glasses or contacts
  • Dental services
  • Appliances such as hearing aids, artificial limbs, or crutches

You can buy private health insurance to cover the health care services that are not covered by the MCP Card.

Related Resources