Tax Benefits

In Canada, there are federal and provincial tax benefits and credits designed to help families and individuals with modest or low income. These programs are administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

While you might be entitled to other benefits or credits, the two programs you should apply for immediately after you arrive in NL are:

  • Canada Child Benefit (if you have children)
  • GST/HST Credit

Canada Child Benefit

The Canada Child Benefit (CCB) is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under 18 years of age. The CCB might include the child disability benefit and any related provincial programs.

The amount you will receive depends on the number of eligible children you have and their ages, and your family’s income.

Applying for CCB

Even if you feel you do not qualify for the CCB because your family income is too high, you should still apply. This should be done as soon as you arrive in Canada, if your children arrive with you, or as soon as your child is born in NL.

ANC settlement workers can help you with the application process.

Only one of the parents or guardians should apply and it should be the person primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child.

As an applicant, you must also meet the following conditions:

  • You must live with the child, and the child must be under 18 years of age.
  • You must be a resident of Canada for tax purposes.
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, a protected person, or a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months and still has a valid permit.

If your child is born in NL, you can apply for CCB through the Automated Benefits Application at the same time when you register your newborn in NL.

If your child was born outside of Canada, you need to fill out and sign the CCB Application and Status in Canada and Income Information form. Mail your main form along with any required additional forms and documentation to the designated tax centre.

Child Disability Benefit

The Child Disability Benefit (CDB) is a tax-free monthly amount of money paid to families who qualify for the Canada Tax Benefit and care for a child under the age of 18 with severe physical or intellectual disabilities. To receive this benefit, you must submit the Disability Tax Credit Certificate certified by a medical practitioner. If you are already getting the CCB for your child who is eligible for the DTC, you do not need to apply for the CDB. You will get it automatically.

GST/HST Credit

The Goods and Services Tax (GST) or Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) is a tax you pay when you buy things in Canada. The GST/HST Credit is a tax-free quarterly payment which helps individuals and families with low and modest incomes offset all or part of the GST or HST that they pay.

  • If you sign up for the direct deposit, you will receive your benefit payments directly into your bank account.
  • You can get your benefits information through CRA’s MyBenefits mobile application or MyAccount online service.
  • If you sign up for the CRA’s mailings, you can receive the benefit and credit payment date reminders to know when you will get your next payment.

Applying for GST/HST Credit

If you are a new resident of Canada, complete one of the following forms to apply for the GST/HST credit:

  • If you have children: fill out and sign Canada Child Benefits Application to apply for all child and family benefits, including the GST/HST credit
  • If you do not have children: fill out and sign GST/HST Credit Application for Individuals Who Become Residents of Canada

Mail the completed form to your tax centre. [See Related Resources]

After that, if you are eligible to receive the GST/HST Credit, all you need to do to receive it is file your income tax every year.

After You Apply

To continue receiving the tax benefits for which you are entitled, you must:

  • File your income tax on time every year even if you have no income in the year. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also have to do their taxes every year.
  • Keep your personal information up to date with the CRA.
  • Keep your supporting documents in case the CRA asks for them as part of the validation process.

Related Resources


Mail Your Applications To:

Sudbury Tax Centre
P.O. Box 20000 STN A
Sudbury, ON P3A 5C1