Legal Advice

In a new country, it can be confusing if you find yourself needing legal advice. You may need it if you are buying a house, starting a business, divorcing your spouse or are facing criminal charges. Depending on your situation, there are different ways to deal with your legal advice needs.


  • Like in many other countries, lawyers in Canada charge fees for their services, and hiring one may be expensive. Ask for the cost before you request a service from a lawyer.
  • If you are a potential immigrant to Canada, beware of fraudulent ‘immigration lawyers’ or ‘immigration consultants’ who claim they can help you get permanent resident status or Canadian visa. You should check their background before dealing with them, or not deal with them at all.

In Canada, like in many other countries in the world, lawyers help their clients with legal advice and services in many areas. They act as advisors in making agreements and solving legal problems, and in preparing legal documents such as wills, contracts, deeds, and court documents.

To find a lawyer to assist you in dealing with a legal issue you can:

  • Look in the Yellow Pages under ‘Lawyers’ [See Related Resources].
  • Call a legal firm and ask if they have someone who deals with your type of legal situation (if they do not, they may refer you to another firm that does).
  • Ask friends, coworkers or family members who had a similar legal situation if they can recommend someone.

NL Legal Aid

NL Legal Aid offers free legal assistance in some areas of family and criminal law to people who, for financial reasons, are unable to get legal services from the private sector. To be eligible for legal aid, you must have a low income and be unable to pay for the necessary legal services.

Public Legal Information Association of NL (PLIAN)

PLIAN is an independent non-profit organization and registered charity dedicated to educating Newfoundlanders and Labradorians about the law, with the intent of increasing and improving access to justice. We are the designated public legal education and information provider for Newfoundland and Labrador and are also a member of the Public Legal Education Association of Canada (PLEAC). PLIAN is funded by the Government of Canada, the Law Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador, and the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador, with in-kind and project funding provided by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador and a number of other sources.

Related Resources

Related Topic in this Guide